Welcome, Whiners!

Welcome, Whiners!
Are you tired of hearing, "Quit yer bitchin'?" Goood. You've come to the right place. Whiners, moaners, complainers, venters, and crybabies are all welcome and invited. No matter how petty and immature and insignificant your rant, you now have a place to post it. Or you can just enjoy my daily grousing. Yay. Let the bitching begin.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Grammar Guru in me has Gone Gonzo.


No more Mr. Mentor.

I. Have. Fucking. Had. It. 
Is it so very freaking difficult to use the proper rules of standard freaking English? I realize that English is no longer the national language of our dear country, but shouldn’t it take decades for English to go the way of Latin? 

Or is English already dead?? I am beginning to believe so. Exhibit A: American Idol, this evening.

First, young Haley sang (loosely used) an unreleased Lady Gaga number. (And remember, you can’t say Lady Gaga without saying gag. Plus, the song should STAY unreleased for eternity.) The title of the song is “You and I,” which is gag-worthy in itself. To add hate-mongering insult to brain-murdering injury, OF COURSE “I” is used incorrectly. “I” is only used when it is a flipping subject. If it is the object OF something, then the object form, “me,” must be used. So when Haley screeched ovah and ovah and ovah, “…about you and I,” my spleen burst into flames.

Thennnn, after Haley warbled her second song—an interesting take on The Animals’
“House of the Rising Sun”— my dear, lovely Jennifer Lopez, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World according to People magazine, said, “That song has never been SANG that way before.” Immediately, Oxford English Grammar declared her “NOT the Most Intelligent Woman in the World.” And my charred spleen fell out of my ass. I am SO sending the medical and upholstery-cleaning bills to Ryan fucking Seacrest.

Exhibit B: Honda. The humongous car corporation has a new television ad, which contains this phrase scrolled in gargantuan letters across the screen: To Each Their Own! Raise your hand if you know what is wrong with that!! Anyone? Anyone? Goddamned BUELLER? If the execs at Honda tell the bazillions of viewers watching American Idol that it is okay to use the plural pronoun “they” with the singular antecedent “each,” then how can lowly English teachers like me undo the damned damage? I mean, Jesus, I know the Japanese are famous for fucked-up Engrish like “please follow hand ladder watering, in order to prevent slip and fall down to get hurt,” (from a swimming pool rules sign), but Mother of Godzilla! When will it stopppppppppp?

2 comments:

  1. When the world obtains better English teachers like my mommy. (Pssst...that's you..just fyi)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus I am a good cooker AND a good feeder.

    ReplyDelete